How to make a Faucet Extender

I love looking at Pinterest. It's a great place to stir my creativity and I found a picture of a faucet extender someone had made out of a baby lotion bottle. Unfortunately, that person did not take pictures of their process of making it so, I had to just wing it. Here's how I did it.



Materials:
Empty bottle (I used a large Johnson and Johnson bubble bath bottle)
Scissors (I used my trusty Cutco scissors... you know... the ones that can cut through a penny)
Razor or knife (optional. I didn't have one but, you'll see why you might want one later)



Step 1: Cut the top off the bottle
Cut a small amount of the top off. Measurements aren't super important here. Just note that the more you cut off, the shorter your extender will be. Thankfully my scissors could cut through the bottle. But, you might want to use a razor blade or knife or something if you can't get your scissors to cut through.



Step 2: Cut the back for the water flow
Cut the back of the bottle. I pretty much just followed the water drop design around which worked out nicely. Don't cut it all the way down. You need to leave a little bit of a "lip" on the bottom to go over the top of the faucet.



Step 3: Cut out the bottom of the bottle
I hated this step. Seriously. It was very hard for me to cut through because the plastic was so thick. Maybe using a razor blade or knife or something would've worked better but, since I am "accident prone" I decided against it. The picture above shows how I finally had to cut to get to the bottom.





Step 4: Fit extender over faucet
Slide the bottom of the bottle over the faucet. Make sure you position it right. Don't put it too far back or you'll have water all over your sink like I did.





Step 5: Turn on the water and cheer!
Yay! You made it! You can use some of the leftover plastic to wedge the extender in place and make it fit tighter but, it works just fine for me without it. Also, if you find your edges are too rough, you can always sand them down.

Have any questions? Feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer it. I'm not a master crafter. Just faking my way through :)


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us the step by step process. It was a BIG help!

JennyBean said...

You are so welcome! I'm glad you found it helpful!!

Anonymous said...

Yes thank you, I was wondering if there were instructions when I saw the picture. So thanks for taking the time to do it.

Anonymous said...

Dianna - BRILLIANT!!! I have had the pinterest pic for a while but no clue how to do it! YAY!!!!!!

tll said...

Sharing with all my darling friends who have toddlers and new babies....wish we had these ideas readily available when my kids were little! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

One way to avoid struggling with removing the bottom (and sizing issues w/r/t fitting the faucet) is to cut or stab a plus-shaped incision on the bottom of the bottle. Then you can fit your faucet through the incision.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the instructions & pics! Can't wait to make for my little granddaughters that I babysit...also, thanks to anonymous for the tip about removing the bottom - awesome idea!

Unknown said...

Amazing website! Your style is so contemporary in comparison with many other writers. Thank you for writing when you have the opportunity to, I will be sure to save your
Bathtub Taps !

Anonymous said...

Found the pic on Pinterest, found the instructions here. You are AWESOME!! Have 2 year old son; will make faucet extender tomorrow!

leafsgirl1 said...

This was a super easy project. I used a small hand saw to cut the top and the bottom of a travel sized dove body wash bottle. Using that tool took no time at all. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the instructions. I just made one, so easy! As for the bottom of the bottle I just cut a plus/cross instead of removing the entire bottom piece. It actually helped keep it in place

Unknown said...

Awesome idea! Added suggestion...to make cutting out the bottom easier (since the plastic is unevenly thick) heat a steak or parring knife over the stove top and use that to puncture/melt the area you want to remove...once done just push the piece out. :)

Anonymous said...

I heated up the bottom with a lighter to soften it up. It made the cuts very easy. I figured I had a knife out anyway, might as well dig out the lighter, too ;)

Anonymous said...

I found that if you switch step 2 and step 3 it's easier to cut the bottom. It's less flimsy and easier to hold on to. Thanks for the step by step it was simple to make and works great!

Clark said...

Hi, thank you very much for help. I am going to test that in the near future. Cheers



Body Wash for Kids

Unknown said...

I live in a wheelchair I am 62 i turn on off my water with a rubber tipped hot dog prong now i have this & can reach the water flow once its turned on god bless you

Anonymous said...

this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot!
Bathtub Taps

Post a Comment